A Study of an Adherence Plan to Help HIV-Positive Patients Take Their First Anti-HIV Medications Correctly
Launched by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES (NIAID) · Aug 30, 2001
Current as of December 10, 2023
Novel approaches are needed to improve adherence to combination antiretroviral therapy. Nonadherence can lead to reduced drug levels and inadequate viral suppression, which accelerates drug resistance. Thus nonadherence in the first few months of primary HIV infection can limit therapeutic options for an individual years later. Barriers to optimal treatment adherence in patients with early HIV infection include complex treatment regimens which disrupt daily routines, drug intolerance, and concomitant illness including depression. Directly observed therapy has been successful in improving ov...
- Inclusion Criteria
- Patients may be eligible for this study if they:
- Are HIV-positive.
- Are at least 13 years old (consent is required if you are under 18).
- Have a CD4 count of at least 200 cells/mm3 within 30 days of study entry.
- Have never taken anti-HIV drugs.
- Agree to practice effective methods of birth control.
- Exclusion Criteria
- Patients will not be eligible for this study if they:
- Have cancer (except for Kaposi's sarcoma) that requires treatment.
- Have a history of hepatitis or pancreatitis.
- Have peripheral neuropathy.
- Have an alcohol abuse problem.
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Are taking certain medications, such as rifabutin, rifampin, interleukin, or chemotherapy.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID, /ˈnaɪ.æd/) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that make up the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
Immunology at National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
San Diego, California, United States
Dallas, Texas, United States
All reviews come from applied patients