Study of Luteinizing Hormone-Releasing Hormone Analog (LHRHa) in Pubertal Patients With Extreme Short Stature
Launched by EUNICE KENNEDY SHRIVER NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CHILD HEALTH AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT (NICHD) · May 21, 2002
Current as of December 03, 2023
Children with extreme short stature and their families frequently experience significant psychological stress related to concerns about adult height. Additionally, extreme short stature often presents life-long emotional, social, and physical obstacles to the affected individual. The onset of puberty in such patients presents a critical management problem because puberty initiates the process of epiphyseal closure that terminates linear growth. Until recently, there was no way to delay the onset of puberty in such patients. The development of synthetic LHRH analogs, however, has provided su...
- Patients with extreme short stature will qualify for inclusion under this protocol if they meet the following criteria:
- Age 9 through 15.99 years at the start of treatment.
- Tanner II-V pubertal development.
- Height at least 2.25 S.D. below the median for chronologic age at the time of pubertal onset, or a predicted adult height at least 2.25 S.D. below median adult height.
- The height criterion must be met before study entry, but not necessarily on the actual date the patient starts to take the protocol injections because advancing puberty may cause an increase in height velocity that temporarily increases height standard deviation score.
- Unfused carpal and phalangeal epiphyses by bone age x-ray.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID, /ˈnaɪ.æd/) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that make up the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
Immunology at National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
All reviews come from applied patients