Lamivudine for Chronic Hepatitis B
Launched by NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF DIABETES AND DIGESTIVE AND KIDNEY DISEASES (NIDDK) · Nov 3, 1999
Current as of December 10, 2023
To assess the safety, antiviral activity and clinical benefit of lamivudine (3-thiacytidine: 3TC) in chronic hepatitis B, we will treat 60 patients with oral lamivudine in a dose of 100 mg daily for up to five years. Lamivudine is a nucleoside analogue which is used extensively in patients with HIV infection and is being studied in controlled trials in chronic hepatitis B. In this study, we will evaluate lamivudine in patients with four different forms of chronic hepatitis B: (A) Atypical serology (HBeAg negative), (B) extra-hepatic manifestations, (C) chronic delta hepatitis, (D) typical H...
- INCLUSION CRITERIA
- Age 18 years or above, male or female.
- Known presence of HBsAg in serum for at least 6 months.
- Liver biopsy histology showing chronic hepatitis with or without cirrhosis.
- Previous therapy with alpha interferon without a lasting effect or intolerance to alpha interferon, due to side effects.
- Written informed consent.
- Group A: For patients with chronic hepatitis B with atypical serology: absence of HBeAg from serum despite elevations in serum aminotransferases, such as that the average levels are greater than 55 U/L (approximately 1.3 times the upper limit of the normal range) based upon two determinations taken at least one month apart during the 6 months before entry.
- Group B: For patients with glomerulonephritis: proteinuria of greater than 1 gm per 24 hours. For patients with polyarteritis, radiological proof of arteritis and involvement of at least on organ system outside of the liver.
- Group C: For patients with chronic delta hepatitis: anti-HDV in serum and HDV antigen in liver biopsy or HDV RNA in serum and elevations in serum aminotransferases, such that the average levels are greater than 55 U/L based upon two determinations taken at least one month apart during the 6 months before entry.
- Group D: For patients with chronic hepatitis B and typical serology: HBeAg and HBV DNA in serum but ineligibility to enter the multicenter trial of lamivudine either because of previous receipt of interferon and intolerable side effects, refusal to receive interferon again, because of normal serum aminotransferases, or lack of availability of the trial.
- EXCLUSION CRITERIA
- Pregnant or if capable of bearing or fathering children must practice adequate contraception.
- Significant systemic illnesses other than liver diseases, including congestive heart failure, renal failure, chronic pancreatitis, diabetes mellitus with poor control.
- Pre-existing bone marrow compromise: hematocrit must be greater than 30%, white blood cell count must be greater than 2000 mm(3), platelets must be greater than 70,000 mm(3).
- Creatinine clearance must be greater than 50 cc/min.
- A history of clinically apparent pancreatitis or evidence of subclinically pancreatitis as shown by serum amylase values twice the upper limits of the normal range and abnormalities of the pancreas on computerized tomography or other imaging studies of the abdomen.
- Irreversibly severe cirrhosis as defined by Child's stage C.
- Presence of anti-HIV or anti-HCV with HCV RNA in serum.
- Immunosuppressive therapy requiring use of more than 10 mg of prednisone (or its equivalent) per day.
- Other antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis B within the previous 3 months.
- Sensory or motor neuropathy apparent from medical history and physical examination.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID, /ˈnaɪ.æd/) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that make up the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
Immunology at National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
All reviews come from applied patients