Current as of December 10, 2023
This study will examine the role of temperature in modulating aspects of energy metabolism in human skeletal muscle. Tests will be conducted at rest and during concentric dorsiflexion exercise of the Tibialis anterior (TA) muscle using an existing custom-designed dynamometer in conjunction with mild local heating and cooling. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS), performed in a 4-tesla whole-body NMR system, will be used to non-invasively measure muscle temperature and energy-state. Specifically these tests will assess the extent to which temperature changes occur during aerobic exercise a...
- Ages 18 to 50.
- Male and female subjects.
- Capable of giving informed consent.
- Healthy normal volunteers.
- No cardiac pacemaker of implantable defibrillator.
- No aneurysm clip.
- No neural stimulator (e.g. TENS-unit).
- No ear implant of any type.
- No metal in the eye (e.g. from machining).
- No implanted device (e.g. insulin pump, drug infusion device).
- No metallic foreign body, shrapnel, or bullet.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID, /ˈnaɪ.æd/) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that make up the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
Immunology at National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
All reviews come from applied patients