Current as of December 10, 2023
Our group has tested the hypothesis that the molecules involved in the neurobiology of the stress response are key elements in the pathophysiology, treatment, and medical consequences of major depressive disorder. Leptin is implicated in the regulation of adipose tissue, body weight and homeostasis. In the first three years of this protocol we accomplished the following: (1) discovered leptin pulsatility; (2) showed that is secreted in a highly organized manner in men and women; (3) showed for the first time in humans an inverse relation between rapid fluctuations in plasma leptin concentra...
- Depressed patients must have a history of past major depression of at least four months duration, or a history of two or more briefer episodes. Must be overweight.
- Must not need a hospital admission as part of their treatment.
- Overweight normal volunteers.
- No subjects on chronic medication which cannot be washed out for one month.
- No subjects with any serious medical illness.
- No women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or sexually active and not using effective contraception.
- No patients with HIV infection.
- No subjects who cannot discontinue use of alcohol/tobacco.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID, /ˈnaɪ.æd/) is one of the 27 institutes and centers that make up the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
Immunology at National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
All reviews come from applied patients